It was a glorious day yesterday - warm and sunny, virtually no wind. We took advantage of the great day to dig potatoes for storage in the root cellar. We had a pretty good harvest this year of Adirondack reds, Shepodys, Yukon golds, Blue Golds and German Butterballs.
First we pulled back the straw and moved it to other garden beds. (I mulch my potatoes with straw instead of hilling.) Then we started digging and filled up an assortment of buckets. I wiped the excess dirt off the potatoes, and spread them out to dry in my planting trays. I let them cure for about a week before moving them to the root cellar for winter storage. The tubers look good, no signs of disease, so I'll save the nicest potatoes of each type to replant next year. I had to replace my seed stock this year because we were hit with late blight in 2010.