After picking up a couple bales of straw and hay today I had plans to implement which included no more muddy paths in the garden. However when I started taking a look around during one of the dozen or more breaks I had to take today.... I noticed that the scheme and flow of the berry garden was off.
It took a LONG time to weed, dig up, and separate the strawberries today. Not to mention spreading two different kinds of mulch (which is one of my gardening secrets). Well when working with the strawberries I realized the two old wooden fence posts had rotted through and needed to be removed which would leave a lot of space to be filled in. Since the posts were so wide and tall they created an odd border for the berries blocking much needed sunlight and generally making for awkward seating in-between the vegetable/berry garden area. So with the posts removed as well as a huge pile of unwanted (ie... invasive) freedom mint running rampant [big gardening mistake I made 4 years ago] there ended up being more than a few strawberry plants that needed some space and a good mulching with some very fluffy straw. It feels so good to have this job completed and I couldn't have done it without my 2 helpers today. My daughter and my 4 legged love you'll see in the pic.